Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Man In The Iron Mask













(Go figure whos behind that mask ;) )


How could someone survive
The depths of a dungeon?
The spirit free,
And physique soiled
But THIRTY FOUR years he toiled!

And how could someone thrive
In throes of nothingness?
Expressions barred
Emotions untied
For THIRTY FOUR years he died!

How could someone hide
And hide in plain sight?
A world around
Another inside
THIRTY FOUR years he hath to bide!

And how to emerge sane
After years of fright?
Bequeath the past
And forego the strife
For after THIRTY FOUR years he hath a life!


Babble
------------
1. Train of thoughts, visions, a drowning, sound of sea waves and then the eyes opening. It had to be The Man In The Iron Mask. (I guess my fascination with captive-yet-free souls continues - first 'The Bet' and now this spontaneously making their way into my imagination)

2. It was only today I realized how expressionless and deceitful a life living under a mask could be. One could practically get away with any amount of discrepancy between  the intent on one side of the mask and the words on the other. *sigh* Bad bad world!

3. Also, a point to note is that I get this captive-yet-free feeling only when I've had an extremely boring and insipid day at work. My inner me asserting the right to live, I guess :)))

4. Do read Alexandre Dumas' stories for more history on The Man In The Iron Mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment